No Change

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks trying to make up my mind about whether or not to go for the external cephalic version. I’ve googled endlessly, I’ve posted on countless forums asking people for their experience, I’ve tried all the positions on spinning babies (including lying upside down on an ironing board, that was…. fun) but finally I made up my mind and decided that if  baby was still breech I would give ECV a go.

Yesterday we were due back at the hospital for the repeat scan. The husband booked the day off work, we arranged a babysitter to look after the two little ones and I felt sick with nerves at the thought of it. I slept really badly on Thursday night and had endless stress dreams (including one where I was Sansa Stark and I was desperately trying to find someone that I could borrow £5 from to buy some chicken soup from Marks & Spencer for King Joffrey or he’d kill me).

We arrived at the clinic and didn’t have to wait too long before we were ushered into the examination room. The doctor did a quick palpation of my stomach and couldn’t determine the position from that so they did an ultrasound. As expected baby was still breech, but the unexpected thing was that they weren’t going to perform the ECV yesterday, instead they want me to come back on the 18th because they won’t do the ECV before 37 weeks (I was 36+2 yesterday) and they want to do it on a day when my consultant is on duty on the labour ward. So I have to wait till 37+5.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I had psyched myself up for getting the procedure done yesterday, I had scheduled my next midwife appointment around it, hoping that I would have an answer about the baby’s position and whether or not we’d proceed with the home birth plans. But it’s all still up in the air. I suppose on the one hand it gives the baby more time to turn on its own, but it’s also a pain that I don’t have any answers yet, the husband has to book another day off work and the baby has time to get bigger, maybe too big to turn.

In the meantime I’ll just have to keep this up


One thought on “No Change”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s